The weather may seem calm for now, but springtime is here, and we all know that means more rain. You know the saying: April showers bring May flowers. Here in Western Kentucky, sometimes those showers manifest as worrisome storms that can cause damage to your roof and your gutters. Now is the time for gutter cleaning. Start prepping your home for the incoming weather so you can minimize damages and expenses.
Your gutters are especially susceptible to problems during rainy weather. They direct excess water away from your roof, which protects the house from leaks. Because the gutters will see more water than usual, they should be prepared using the following techniques:
- Inspect your gutters often for clogs and debris. Old leaves, sticks, animal feces, and many other elements can get in the way of water, so make sure to remove any obstructions frequently. This is especially important for homes without seamless gutters.
- Keep foliage away from them. Tree branches can scrape against the gutters, causing them to loosen or fill with debris.
- Check to make sure the gutters are secured properly. A loose gutter can mean excess water overflows or gets trapped in bad places.
- Monitor the status of your fascia board. Soft, spongy fascia boards can be an indication of water damage.
- Have any issues you spot repaired immediately. The longer you wait to address a problem with your gutters, the more serious the issue (and expensive) can become. Cracks, holes, and other noticeable damaged spots should be reported to a professional who can patch up the problem in no time.
If you’re ready to make sure your gutters are in tip-top shape, contact the gutter pros at Gutter Boyz of Kentucky. Give us a call today at (270) 906-3055 for a FREE ESTIMATE.